Cement masons/finishers construct, place and finish freshly poured concrete. They install, maintain and restore concrete structures. In this career, they can work with construction companies, cement and concrete contractors and manufacturers, or can be self-employed.
You are handy with tools.
You have good physical fitness and stamina.
You work well in a team and on your own.
- Place concrete, check formwork and steel reinforcement materials
- Have knowledge of grouts, epoxy material & concrete curing materials
- Use a variety of power tools to cut, core, chip, grind & roughen surfaces
- Level top surface concrete according to grade and depth specifications
- Smooth surfaces, round edges & make joints or grooves to control cracking
- Apply components to cure, waterproof and restore surfaces
- Use machines like ride-on power trowels to finish large warehouse floors
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Reading, communication, numeracy and problem-solving
- Attention to detail
- Dexterity with tools and equipment
- Stamina and good physical fitness
- Hand-eye coordination
- Spatial perception
What You’ll Need
Previously completed courses or work experience related to the cement mason/concrete finisher trade may qualify for credit that could reduce the term of apprenticeship.
Apprenticeship Program: 3 years, includes technical training, on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you lear